Saturday, October 28, 2006

More Links for Early Retirement

Akaisha and Billy Kaderli are the couple that I mentioned in my previous post about early retirement. Akaisha has asked me to post a link to their favorite websites. Among the links that they have listed, the ones near the top of the page are the most useful for those considering early retirement. Toward the bottom page are links that are related to their travels, mostly in Southeast Asia.

Akaisha and Billy have recently been profiled in the October 2006 issue of Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine. According to this article, the couple has been able to keep their expenses very low -- about $24,000 per year. They maintain a diversified portfolio of mostly stock index funds. And they withdraw only about 3% a year from this stash.

For people considering early retirement, a question that would be interesting to ask is do you think that you could live off $24,000 a year? Here in Silicon Valley, I would say that it would be very difficult to retire on that amount, without moving to a less expensive area. Interestingly, the couple used to live in California, but have now setup residence in Arizona.

I also wanted to acknowledge that fin_indie has mentioned pfstock on his Retiring Early blog. His post expands on the mine by describing the main boards on the Early Retirement Forum, which I mentioned before. He has promised to provide some more of his insights of what he has learned from "actively lurking" on the retirement forums.

Updates:
Early Retirement Housing

pfstock

1 comment:

fin_indie said...

Thanks for the reference... I guess I better get a post up on my learnings!